Poland Board of Education held its organizational meeting Jan. 13, where along with other business, the board elected officers and set the schedule of meetings for 2014.
With board member Elinor Zedaker serving as temporary chair, the board elected James Lavorini as president. Lavorini is a returning board member and served as legislative liaison with the board last year. Returning board member, Robert Shovlin, was elected vice-president.
The board authorized Lavorini and treasurer Donald Stanovcak to sign all notes and documents for the benefit of the district as needed. The board also authorized Shovlin to act accordingly in the absence of Lavorini.
Photo by Joanna Larson, Town Crier
The Poland Board of Education held its organizational meeting Jan. 13 at the Poland Seminary High School library. Board members and school officials pictured front row from left are: Elinor Zedaker, and Vice President Robert Shovlin. Back row from left are: superintendent David Janofa, treasurer Donald Stanovcak, board president James Lavorini, Richard Weaver and Dr. Larry Dinopoulos.
In other business, the board:
* Elected to join the Ohio School Board Association, making this the 59th consecutive year of membership for Poland Schools, a charter member of the OSBA since 1955; :
* Adopted a resolution directing the treasurer to invest excess funds with a financial institution eligible for deposit of public funds. According to Stanovcak, current investments are with Star Ohio and Farmer's National Bank, with plans to open an account with Home Savings and Loan.
* Resolved to direct the treasurer to seek tax advances whenever possible during the calendar year;
* Authorized the superintendent to accept resignations and to make offers of employment directly to candidates, on behalf of the board during periods of time when the school board is not in session. Resignations are subject to ratification by the board and offers of employment are subject to vote and ratification by the board. The superintendent also was authorized to sign documents for the district as needed and as appropriate throughout the calendar year.
* Renewed the board's liability insurance policy in the amount of $1 million per occurrence/$2 million aggregate with approved parental support groups allowed to come under the board's protection by paying a $70 premium each, should they choose the option.
Presidential appointments include Richard Weaver, legislative liaison with OSBA; Robert Shovlin, impartial hearing officer; Elinor Zedaker, board's representative to the Poland Schools Foundation; James Lavorini , student achievement liaison with OSBA; and Dr. Larry Dinopoulos, liaison to the evaluation review committee.
The board also discussed the 2014-2015 School Year Calendar but took no action at this meeting.