Spartan swimmers will return to the Division I State Swimming Championships Friday and Saturday for the 15th consecutive season.
Leading the Spartans back to Canton are Junior Brooke Bailey and Senior Jessica Hilk. Bailey placed fifth overall in the Northeast District Championships last Saturday at Cleveland State University in the 100 Breaststroke in a school record time of 1:05.94. The previous record of 1:06.21 was set by Ashley Aldan in 2012. Bailey is seeded ninth in the breaststroke at the state meet and Hilk placed fifth in the 100 Butterfly in a school record time of 58.45. The previous mark of 58.93 held by both Ashley Aldan (2012) and Brooke Bailey (2013). Hilk will be seeded 22nd in the fly at the state meet and she also knocked more than three seconds off the 200 freestyle record. Her tenth place district time of 1:56.81 broke the old mark of 1:59.84 set by Colleen Manning in 2013.
Both Hilk and Bailey teamed with Senior Jordyn Markovitch and Junior Sarah Gonda in the record breaking 200 Medley Relay. The relay placed sixth at the district meet in the time of 1:49.31 and that time will seed them in 16th place at the state meet. The time broke the old school mark of 1:50.62 set in 2013 by Gaby DeAscentis, Brooke Bailey, Jessica Hilk and Colleen Manning.
''In the very first swim of the meet the girls exploded in the medley relay,'' said coach Terry OHalloran. ''It was a terrific performance. The coaches were watching the girls behind the block before the event and you could tell they were ready to light it up. Jessica dropped two seconds in her 50 fly split and both Brooke (breaststroke) and Jordyn (freestyle) had lifetime best splits. Sarah put us in a winning position leading off in the backstroke.
''There was a noticeable gasp in the crowd when our time came up on the board and the other 10 teams in the second heat knew they had their work cut out for them. Jessica had the meet of her life breaking two individual records and being on the record setting medley. Brooke on the other hand really went after the 100 breaststroke.''
The Spartan girls placed 9th out of the 84 teams competing at the meet with the score of 97 points. The 400 boys freestyle relay posted a season best time of 3:34.11 and placed 14th. Tyler Calpin, Aaron DunLany, Ethan Schwendeman, and David Zaitzew swam on the relay.
Spartan District places and times for individual events and relays:
* 200 Freestyle:Jessica Hilk 10th, 1:56.81 school record. Tyler Calpin 10th, 1:54.85.
* 200 Individual Medley: Sarah Gonda 17th, 2:17.99.
* 50 Freestyle: Jordyn Markovitch 16th, 25.30; Corie Kuras 19th, 25.53; Amanda Moss 24th, 25.61 100
* Butterfly: Jessica Hilk fifth, 58.45 school record; Brooke Bailey 11th, 59.65; Corie Kuras 28th, 1:04.15
* 100 Freestyle: Jordyn Markovitch 20th, 55.86; Amanda Moss 37th, 58.50
* 100 Backstroke: Sarah Gonda 10th, 1:00.98
* 100 Breaststroke: Brooke Bailey fifth, 1:05.98 school record. Kelsie Stutz 37th, 1:14.92
* 200 Medley Relay: Sarah Gonda, Brooke Bailey, Jessica Hilk and Jordyn Markovitch sixth, 1:49.31 school record.
* 200 Freestyle Relay: Brooke Bailey, Amanda Moss, Jessica Hilk and Jordyn Markovitch eighth, 1:40.85
* 400 Freestyle Relay: Corie Kuras, Julia Lewis, Amanda Moss and Sarah Gonda 18th, 3:52.71
* 400 Freestyle Relay: Tyler Calpin, Aaron DunLany, Ethan Schwendeman and David Zaitzew 14th, 3:34.