The Cardinal Joint Fire District will be holding a fire prevention open house at Station One on Lisbon Street from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12. The event will feature a host of activities for families with a focus on kitchen fires.
"We probably see an average of 12 to 20 kitchen fires each year," said CJFD Assistant Chief Matt Rarick.
He said it is not unusual to have a fire from using the stove as a storage space. The district has been on calls where residents have stored plastic ware in the oven and forgot it was there. They would turn the oven of to warm it without checking and the plastic ware would cause severe smoke, or catch fire.
Another common kitchen fire call involves placing items too close to a burner. Rarick said he has seen cases where someone was cooking and left the box of ingredients sitting on the stove close to the fire. In some cases, these types of fires may involve a third scenario, the unattended stove.
"Unattended cooking is a big one," Rarick said.
A good example is frying. The grease gets too hot and catches fire. Rarick said it is best never to leave the kitchen when cooking and to always be prepared for such a fire by having a lid handy to smother it, or a fire extinguisher to put it out.
All these fire hazards will be addressed at the open house that will kick off fire safety month. Rarick said the district will set up their new blow-up house that includes the kitchen. Kids can go through the house and learn where the fire dangers are.
Besides a variety of fun activities for the kids, the adults will be able to take advantage of some free training as well.
"We are going to offer fire extinguisher training for adults," Rarick said.