The Boardman High School varsity swim teams broke three school records and three freshman records at the district championships at Cleveland State University recently.
Leading the way for the Spartan girls was junior Ashley Aldan. Aldan broke her previous school record time of 25.02 in the 50 freestyle with the new time of 24.88. She placed ninth overall in the event.
Aldan was also a member of two Spartan relays that set new records. She joined freshman Gaby DeAscentis, junior Jessica Gonda and sophomore Emily Bodamer in the record-breaking 200 medley relay. These same four girls broke the record last week in the sectional championships with a time of 1:55.07. At the district meet, the girls took another second off the record by posting a time of 1:54.07 and placing 10th in the meet.
Aldan and Bodamer were joined by senior Megan Barringer and freshman Colleen Manning on the record-setting, 15th place, 400-meter freestyle relay. The girls swam the time of 3:44.31, which broke the mark of 3:44.65 set in 2008 by Kayla Aldan, Megan Palmer, Katie Henson, and Ashley Aldan.
Manning also reset her freshman school record in the 100 backstroke with a new time of 1:04.58. She placed 22nd in the event.
Boardman also qualified senior, first-year diver Karlie Ligore in the district diving meet. Ligore placed 29th in the meet.
On the boy’s side of the meet, Boardman was led by freshman Ryan Bailey and junior Michael Henson. Bailey reset two freshman records while placing 11th in the 100 breaststroke (1:02.39) and 13th in the 100 butterfly (54.31). Henson place 13th in the 100 backstroke in a career best time of 55.86.
Boardman also placed ninth in the 200 medley relay in a season best time of 1:41.12 and narrowly missed qualifying for the state meet in the event. The medley relay swimmers were Henson, Bailey, senior Ali Azeem, and junior Steven Moss.
Henson, Moss, and Bailey were joined by junior Mike Reardon on the 11th place 200 free relay. The boys posted a season best time of 1:30.29.
Coach Terry O’Halloran said, “We have had an excellent season. Our swimmers have dropped their times more this year than any other season. The goal is to always strive to qualify for the state meet and we came very close to doing that. Ohio swimmers continue to go faster and we have set our goals to get stronger and faster next year and make it back to Canton.”
Complete district results included:
• 200 Medley Relays
Girls-1:54.07, 10th, DeAscentis, Aldan, Gonda, Bodamer (school record)
Boys-1:41.12, 9th, Henson, Bailey, Azeem, Moss
• 200 Freestyle Relays
Girls-1:42.18, 11th, Aldan, Bodamer, Barringer, C. Manning
Boys-1:30.29, 11th, Azeem, Reardon, Henson, Moss
• 400 Freestyle Relays
Girls-3:44.31, 15th, Aldan, Gonda, Bodamer, C. Manning (school record)
Boys-3:23.32, 17th, Moss, Reardon, Henson Bailey
• 200 Freestyle: Colleen Manning, 2:03.70, 39th
• 200 Individual Medley: Jessica Gonda , 2:20.16, 29th; Ryan Mitchell, 2:08.89, 33rd
• 50 freestyle: Ashley Aldan, 24.88, 9th (school record); Emily Bodamer, 26.37, 37th; Gaby DeAscentis, 26.88, 47th: Steven Moss, 22.98, 29th;
• 1-meter diving: Karlie Ligore, 124.75, 29th
• 100 butterfly: Jessica Gonda, 1:04.85, 39th; Ryan Bailey, 54.31, 13th (freshman record); Ali Azeem, 55.77, 19th; Alex Downie, 56.97, 26th; Ryan Mitchell, 56.64, 24th
• 100 freestyle: Megan Barringer, 57.95, 45th
• 100 backstroke: Colleen Manning, 1:04.58, 22nd (freshman record); Gaby DeAscentis, 1:05.75, 29th; Michael Henson, 55.86, 13th; Steven Brooks, 59.01, 29th; AlexDownie, 58.77, 27th
• 100 breaststroke: Jeana McEvey, 1:15.73, 47th; Ryan Bailey, 1:02.39, 11th (freshman record)
The Boardman Spartans 200-meter medley relay team of Ashley Aldan and Gaby DeAscentis, seated, and Emily Bodamer and Jessica Gonda, standing, broke the record during districts at 1:54.07.